I am here with a very healthy vegetable stew recipe, one of the most satisfying recipes where different vegetables come together on one plate. You can prepare this casserole recipe with potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, green peppers, tomatoes and different spices to your taste, seasonal vegetables.
For the vegetable stew recipe, I used bone-in meat. I purposely chose fatty meat because the bone broth and oil make the dish very flavorful. However, if you are on a vegetarian diet, you can omit the meat from the recipe and make a light vegetable dish with just vegetables and olive oil. In the juice of the vegetable stew there is a wonderful taste of lots of vegetables and meat. Do not forget to serve warm bread, bulgur pilaf, pickles and tzatziki with it.
what is vegetable stew?
Vegetable stew is a dish prepared with a variety of vegetables. I especially recommend using an clay stewpot when preparing for vegetable stew recipe. It can’t be said that it is used very often in our kitchens, but the existence of an clay stew pot waiting to be used on the kitchen shelf of most households is real. The secret is that the dishes in the casserole are cooked at low heat. Therefore, it is not widely used in our kitchens, because the use of the casserole takes a lot of time.
Are clay pots good for cooking?
Clay pots, of course, can be used on the stove and in the oven, as long as they do not have cracks. We must make sure that the casserole we just bought does not have cracks. Before using a newly bought casserole, wipe it with a dry cloth or sponge. White and red meat dishes, vegetable dishes, legumes, seafood, rice and soups and cakes can be prepared in the bottom casserole. The dishes in the pot are much tastier, because they are cooked at low heat.
How to make vegetable stew recipe?
As summer approaches, the variety of vegetables increases and I love vegetable dishes. I am very happy to share with you the vegetable recipes that I have made. Even someone who has never tried a vegetable stew recipe can easily make this dish. All you have to do is chop your vegetables!
At home, add olive oil to your casserole and place your meat on the bottom. Then add the cut vegetables a little at a time. I prepared a sauce with tomato paste, and finally I infused this sauce with water and cooked slowly on low heat. The result is perfect!
What is the main ingredient of stew?
Vegetable stew recipe main ingredients are, as the name suggests, vegetables. The choice of vegetables depends entirely on your taste. It is healthier to use seasonal vegetables. If you keep vegetables in your freezer, you can add them without thawing.Zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, onions and garlic are the vegetables that are often used in the recipe of veggie stew.
what to serve with vegetable stew?
When I make a vegetable stew recipe, I usually serve it with bulgur pilaf. I usually make bulgur pilaf with broth, it’s really delicious and healthy. You can have warm bread with it, but if you serve it with rice, it’s not necessary. In summer, a tzatziki made with cold cucumbers and garlic goes perfectly with this dish. If you have fresh onions as greens, you can also use fresh garlic. And finally, you can not forget about the pickles.
Should you peel potatoes for stew?
If you want to use yellow potatoes in my vegetable stew recipe, you will need to peel them. I don’t think you can eat this potato with the skin. But since the outer skin of sweet potatoes is also suitable for consumption, you can use them in recipes with peel or skin.
Tips For Veggie Stew
Now that eggplant, zucchini and green beans are on the table, it’s time to prepare a vegetable stew. It is one of the most cooked dishes in our kitchens, especially in the summer months. It is a very good alternative to use the vegetables left in the refrigerator. Especially in the summer months, this meal is often prepared to regulate the digestive system.
Although it usually includes vegetables such as tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and zucchini, you can add many other vegetables to the vegetable stew. Although the preparation of this dish seems to be quite simple, there are a few tricks to keep in mind when cooking it.
- You can cook your food over medium heat adding hot water or hot meat or chicken broth so the ingredients don’t float in it.
- If you add water all at once, the consistency of the dish will not hold completely. As the amount of water decreases, the water should be added to the pot gradually and in a controlled manner.
- First, add olive oil to the bottom of the clay stew pot.
- When all the ingredients stick to the bottom of the pot, you should add water. At this stage, you can also use plain water or meat or chicken broth.
How many calories are in a bowl of veggie stew?
I would like to answer this question in two ways, because you can prepare the recipe I have given for the vegetable stew with or without meat, depending on your preferences.
Caloric value of meat-vegetable stew: 100 grams of this dish contains 75 kcal, and 1 serving (medium), that is 297 grams of the dish, contains 223 calories.
Calorie content of meatless vegetable stew: There are 52 kcal in 100 grams of this dish, and 143 calories in 1 serving (medium), i.e. 275 grams of the dish. Veggie stew is a dish very rich in vitamins, minerals and porridge, because it contains various vegetables.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories75
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Cholesterol 12.1mg 5%
- Potassium 273.3mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.7g 7%
- Protein 4.9g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Vegetable stew with meat is a dish high in vitamins, minerals and fiber, prepared with vegetables such as fresh beans, zucchini, eggplant and potatoes. The meat content increases the protein, vitamin and mineral content of the meal. It can be eaten with meat for both lunch and dinner.
Do you need more recipes for vegetable dishes? Then you should also check out my recipes below.
We’ve learned enough about the vegetable stew recipe, now let’s go to the kitchen to stock up on this dish, prepare our materials, and take our notes.
Vegetable Stew RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Easy
Vegetable stew recipe that you can easily prepare at home
6 pieces of medium-fat meat with small bones
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 diced zucchini
2 diced eggplants
2 medium diced tomatoes
4 chopped green beans
2 medium diced potatoes
2 Kapia peppers, diced
10 peeled garlic cloves
10 shallot bulbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red flakes pepper
2 glasses of water
- FOR SAUCE
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon black pepper
- After adding olive oil, the pieces of meat are placed on the bottom of the casserole.
- Then season and mix the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Put the seasoned vegetables into the casserole.
- Pour the prepared sauce over them and add the water.
- Cook the casserole on low heat with the lid closed until the vegetables are tender. (between 30-40 minutes)
Why is vegetable stew healthy?
The vegetable stew recipe is as healthy as it is delicious. The vegetables mentioned in the name of the recipe in itself means health. We must not forget that either. In order to make the most of these wonderful properties of vegetables, we should consume vegetables that are in season, or procure them in season and store them properly until consumption.
- Vegetable stew recipe are essential for diet lists and for anyone who wants to stay in shape because of their low calorie and high fiber content.
- The high fiber content of vegetables keeps you full, balances blood sugar and cholesterol levels, and aids digestion by facilitating intestinal peristalsis.
- Vegetable stew recipe contain large amounts of vitamins and minerals. Vegetables are the richest source of antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin A and beta-carotene, the precursor of vitamin A.
- Vegetables are also the best source of vitamin K. Vitamin K increases the absorption of calcium in the body and reduces the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures.
- Vegetable foods also have a blood pressure lowering effect due to their high potassium content.
- Dark green leafy vegetables in particular balance the level of cortisol, known as the stress hormone, thanks to their high magnesium content.
Do vegetables lose nutrients in stew?
Some vitamins in vegetables and fruits dissolve in water. Therefore, do not wash vegetables and fruits under running water for a long time when using the recipe for vegetable stew recipe. Fast running water will cause oxygen loss on the surface, which will reduce the nutritional value of the food. Also, when washing the vegetables, squeeze out the water whole. If you chop it and squeeze out the water, the vitamin content will be lost. When cooking vegetables, do not add too much water to the casserole. Rather, cook vegetables with very little water or steam.
What is the healthiest way to cook vegetables?
When steaming vegetables, the vegetables are cooked in special containers by coming into contact with the steam without touching the water. Since vegetables cooked by this method are exposed to less heat than others, other nutrients, especially vitamins A-C-E, are less lost. In addition, the soluble cellulose content is absorbed into the body without loss in this cooking method and ensures better functioning of intestinal functions. The taste of the vegetable, which softens without losing its nutritional value, is preserved and the body is cleansed of toxins through the detoxification effect.
How can you preserve nutritional qualities of vegetables?
Since the main ingredients in vegetable stew recipe are vegetables, I’d like to share a few methods I use myself to preserve the nutritional value.
- I avoid reheating vegetable dishes as much as possible. In dishes that are repeatedly reheated, bacterial growth increases and the nutritional value decreases. Therefore, when preparing a recipe for a vegetable stew, prepare as much as you can eat.
- When I cook green vegetables, I don’t use water.
- I add olive oil to the steamed vegetables because it helps the body absorb vitamins A, D, E and K. I consider preparing vegetable dishes with olive oil a healthy way to eat them.
- If you have frozen vegetables, cook them without thawing them.
- Finally, start cutting when you are ready to consume your vegetables.
How long can you keep homemade stew?
I am in favor of using everything when preparing vegetable dishes. However, we can cook extra meals when a guest comes, or by worrying if there is too little or too little. That is why I think it is important to store food as well as to cook it. Because food that is not stored well spoils quickly and that leads to waste. Who wants to waste their money? Put your leftovers for vegetable stew in a sealed container. This way you can keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Can you reheat vegetable stew?
Take the vegetable stew recipe out of the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for a while. Then, depending on the amount of food, heat for 3-4 minutes over medium heat in a pot of suitable size and serve.
Can I freeze vegetable stew?
There’s something I do every summer: I freeze summer vegetables and cook them in the winter when I feel like it. That’s why I love this vegetable stew recipe. I put the vegetables like green beans, tomatoes and eggplant that I bought extra in the summer in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. That way it stays fresh for a long time. Only when you make for vegetable stew recipe, you take it out of the freezer and cook it without thawing it. I know I’ve said this many times, but it’s really important.
If you have any other questions about the vegetable stew recipe, feel free to leave me a comment. I’m always willing to help. Also, don’t forget to follow me on my Instagram page. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great day!
Frequently Asked Questions
what are the best vegetables to use in beef vegetable stew
My favorite dishes with vegetables are always zucchini, green beans and eggplant. I love 3 vegetables and you can use leftover vegetables to your taste or at home.
Is it bad to cook vegetables?
The water-soluble vitamins in cooked vegetables are reduced by 50-60%. Some minerals and vitamin A are also lost during cooking, albeit to a lesser extent. The fat-soluble vitamins D, E and K are hardly affected.
Is vegetable stew good for weight loss?
The main reason why the vegetables used in the vegetable stew recipe are good for weight loss is not only because they are low in calories, but also because they are rich in nutrients that help lose weight, such as fiber, folic acid, potassium, vitamins A and C.
How do you thicken vegetable stew?
I added tomato paste sauce to the my vegetable stew recipe.