You will all love the homemade hummus Mediterranean recipe, which is one of the most beautiful appetizers prepared from boiled chickpeas with the contributions of olive oil, tahini and freshly squeezed lemon juice.Hummus with tahini, which has survived from the 12th century to the present day, is one of the most controversial flavors of the Middle East. Served as an appetizer in many countries such as Turkey, Lebanon, Israel and Greece, the main ingredients of this food are chickpeas, tahini and sumac.
It is rich in protein and also increases the serotonin hormone. In this way, it helps to reduce problems such as depression and stress, which are common diseases of today. Although it is classic to eat chocolate in depression, this feature of hummus may surprise you.
Every country in the Middle East has its own hummus. They are very similar recipes, sometimes with slight variations in ingredients or presentation from culture to culture. The word hummus comes from the Arabic word ‘hummus’ meaning chickpea. The first hummus recipe is found in an Arabic cookbook; it is made with vinegar and pickled lemons, but without tahini and garlic. Mediterranean Hummus is served as a starter or dip. When served as a dip, it is served with lavash or pita bread, and as a side dish with falafel. Hummus can be a side dish or a dip, and hummus has its own side dishes. Let’s examine hummus in detail together.
What Is Mediterranean Style Hummus
The traditional hummus recipe consists of chickpeas, tahini, lemon, garlic, garlic, olive oil and a few spices. Although it varies depending on the region, flavorings such as cumin, red pepper flakes and sumac are generally preferred. This appetizer, which is very practical to prepare, can give guests a completely different gourmet experience with the little touches of the chefs’ skillful hands.
For example, in addition to the classic presentation with plenty of olive oil or butter, Mediterranean hummus can also be cooked once in the oven in tiled pots. The roasted bacon you add on top will increase the flavor of the hummus many times over. Warm hummus with bacon, which turns into a completely different flavor with crispy bacon and roasted pine nuts, can be a great appetizer for your guests.
What Is Mediterranean Hummus Made Of?
This dish, which is frequently eaten in Middle Eastern countries, has been appreciated by Mediterranean countries over time and has taken its place on the tables. Even in the Western tables, it has accepted its own culture. Hummus mediterranean, which is easily consumed with all kinds of meals and snacks, can be easily prepared with chickpeas, tahini, garlic and various spices.
Is Hummus Considered Mediterranean?
Who doesn’t like hummus, a mixture of chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil? The taste of hummus, which you spread on your hot pita bread with the tip of your knife, covers all the tasteless images of the day and reminds you once again how enjoyable life is. However, it is also obvious that there is a competition about hummus: Who makes the tastiest hummus? The only truth I know is that hummus is an important dish in the Eastern Mediterranean region stretching from Turkey to Lebanon.
How To Make Mediterranean Hummus
Start the hummus mediterranean recipe by cooking the chickpeas soaked overnight in a pressure cooker by adding salt until they are soft. Put the cooked chickpeas in a bowl with a strainer. Do not throw the boiling water. Mash the cooked chickpeas well with a hand blender. Put the crushed chickpeas in a large pot. Add cumin, salt, lemon juice and tahini to the chickpeas. Cumin takes the gas out of chickpeas. You can use lemon salt instead of lemon.
Slowly add the boiling water of the chickpeas. Add water until it reaches a smooth custard consistency. Turn on the stove and cook for a while. Some recipes do not cook it, I cook it because I believe it tastes better, cooked hummus does not touch the stomach. Put the hummus on a serving plate. Heat the oil of your choice in a large skillet. Add red pepper flakes to the oil. Pour it over the hummus on the serving plate. If you want, you can put slices of sausage and bacon in the hot oil. Bacon, sausage and meat add flavor to hummus. The amount of salt, spices and oil is up to you. Garnish with parsley and sumac.
What Can I Add To My Hummus To Make It Taste Better?
Chopped parsley or dill is a good choice for flavoring hummus mediterranean. After boiling the chickpeas, set aside the boiling water, this will give flavor to your hummus. You can also be sure that bacon, sausage and meat will add flavor to your hummus.
How Do You Thicken Hummus?
Hummus mediterranean should have a soft consistency that can be spread. You can add water if necessary to achieve this consistency. To thicken your consistency, it will be enough to add tahini.
What Can I Use Instead Of Tahini?
Traditional hummus recipes include tahini (sesame paste), but it is possible to substitute sesame oil instead.
Should You Put Olive Oil In Hummus?
Many dishes combined with olive oil allow you to capture the feast you are looking for on your tables. Hummus with olive oil adds convenience to your tables with its unique flavor and production stages. Hummus mediterranean, which shows natural antidepressant properties, allows you to reach many things you need for your health with its nutritious structure. You can also get a better quality appearance by drizzling olive oil on hummus.
Should You Peel Chickpeas For Hummus?
A good hummus mediterranean does not have a crust; the crust makes it creamy and bitter. The best way to remove the skins is to use a rice washing bowl. Pour the chickpeas into the rice washing bowl, place the bowl under the tap, turn on the water and start rubbing the chickpeas with your hands.
Is Mediterranean Hummus Good For You?
Hummus mediterranean is a healthy and convenient food with many benefits that can be incorporated into almost any dish. Let’s discuss some of the benefits in detail:
Improved Heart Health : Hummus mediterranean contains olive oil, which helps maintain cardiovascular health. According to research, olive oil consumption indicates lower cardiovascular disease in southern European and Mediterranean countries. As noted by the Wall Street Journal, consuming foods rich in olive oil, such as hummus, helps reduce heart disease such as stroke.
Improved Digestion : Hummus mediterranean is a good source of fiber, which helps maintain a healthy digestive system. For this reason, it has proven useful in regulating bowel movements and has helped relieve constipation. It contributes plenty to your diet and makes you feel full for longer. Thanks to hummus, you won’t be looking for other things to smear soon after a meal.
Weight Loss : Rich in protein and fiber, hummus is one of the Mediterranean dishes that improves digestion and helps you manage your weight easily. Tahini contains healthy monounsaturated fats that promote weight loss and help reduce belly fat. This factor is very important among the benefits of hummus.
Skin and Hair Care : Omega-3 fatty acids found in hummus help with skin care and promote hair growth. Chickpeas contain manganese, which helps prevent sagging skin and hair loss. Zinc works as an antioxidant and helps delay aging and prevent hair loss.
Diabetes Control : Humus helps regulate blood. The low glycemic index (GI) of chickpeas is important for attributing sugar levels. It is recommended to choose dried chickpeas instead of canned chickpeas for hummus because they have a higher glycemic index. The fiber found in hummus is a complex carbohydrate. It does not stop digestion and therefore slows down the body’s release of sugar. This helps in controlling diabetes. The American Diabetes Association also recommends using this chickpea food item as part of a diabetes meal plan.
Is Hummus Good If You’re On A Diet?
1 tablespoon (15 gr) hummus contains 33 calories. It is recommended that individuals who want to lose weight consume 1 tablespoon (15 gr) of hummus during the weight loss process. Hummus is among the low-calorie foods. Therefore, hummus consumption does not cause weight gain.
Is Hummus Everyday Healthy?
Hummus mediterranean is a great source of protein, but it is not low in calories because it contains tahini or olive oil. For this reason, it is appropriate to consume it 2 times a week and not more than 2 tablespoons in those 2 days.
Calories In Hummus Mediterranean
Hummus contains 242 calories per 100 grams. 1 serving (140 g) of hummus has 339 calories, 1 heaping tablespoon (15 g) has 36 calories. 100 grams of hummus contains 13.48 grams of carbohydrates, 5.88 grams of protein, 17.76 grams of fat, 5.57 grams of fiber. Hummus mediterranean is a starter dish prepared with chickpeas, olive oil and various spices. It should be consumed with caution as it is served with plenty of oil.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories242
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Sodium 140.93mg 6%
- Potassium 291.68mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 5.57g 23%
- Protein 5.88g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Are you looking for more appetizer recipes? Then click on the links below to find out about my other appetizer recipes.
We’ve had enough of the information in this section, now it’s time to prepare the easy Mediterranean hummus recipe and enjoy this delicious dish. If you’re ready, let’s go to the kitchen and start taking our notes.
Hummus MediterraneanCourse: AppetizersCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Homemade easy mediterranean hummus recipe
400 g chickpeas, boiled
2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 lemon zest
4 tablespoons tahini
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sweet chili powder
5 tablespoons of ice-cold water
- FOR THE TOP
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red flakes pepper
1 tablespoon of boiled chickpeas
3-4 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- Pour water over the boiled chickpeas and remove the skins.
- Add lemon juice to the chickpeas and crush them a little with the help of a blender.
- Continue the crushing process by adding the remaining ingredients except water. Since it is a dry mixture, the crushing process will become difficult. At this stage, continue the mashing process by slowly adding cold water.
- Place the hummus on a serving plate. Drizzle olive oil, red pepper flakes and chickpeas over it. You can serve with finely chopped parsley.
Tips About Hummus Mediterranean
- If you ask whether you should use canned or dried chickpeas for hummus mediterranean , my advice is to soak them in water overnight, then boil them and prepare them yourself. The 200 grams of chickpeas that you put in water overnight will be 400 g the next day. And when all the steps are completed, you will have 800 g of hummus in total.
- First of all, you need to cook the chickpeas very well. Even if you are going to use canned chickpeas, I recommend boiling them for 15-20 minutes after draining. The longer you cook the chickpeas (2-3 hours), the creamier and silkier the texture you will get. If you are going to boil them in a pressure cooker, 1 hour will be enough.
- Peel the shells of the boiled chickpeas before using them. This is another way to ensure that the hummus mediterranean has a creamy texture. They come off quickly anyway, but I can suggest this as a more practical method: Without draining the boiled chickpeas and while they are still hot, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda into the pot, mix and let it sit for a few minutes with the lid closed. Then take a handful of chickpeas at a time and hold them under running water. You will see that the skins are easily separated.
- Of course, you don’t need to peel the chickpea skins every time. Let me emphasize that this step only affects the consistency and texture, it does not change the taste.
- To soften the pungency of the garlic, soak the minced garlic in lemon juice for a few minutes or pound it in a mortar and pestle with a teaspoon of salt.
- Make sure that the tahini you use is of good quality, milled in a mill. The more quality ingredients you use, the more flavor you get. By the way, let me share the information that the best tahini in the world is made from Ethiopian sesame seeds.
- Other methods include adding a few ice cubes and/or hot water from the chickpeas while mixing to obtain a hummus with a voluminous and creamy texture. Interestingly, the ice gives the hummus a creamier texture and a lighter color, try it.
- Using a food processor with steel blades for this process will provide you with great convenience. Let the food processor run and rest for a few minutes. Check the consistency of the hummus mediterranean and start it again. Continue to blend until the texture is creamy and smooth and, if necessary, add some of the water from the chickpeas you boiled, hot!
- Always use fresh lemon juice.
- Always use a good quality extra virgin olive oil to serve this dip in an authentic way.
- A few sprinkles of sumac or cumin in the center of the hummus mediterranean in a bowl is very nice. In fact, if you have extra cooked chickpeas, add them too. Finish the presentation with a sprinkle of finely chopped parsley.
How To Serve
If you are wondering how hummus mediterranean is served, let’s start with restaurants and hotels. In restaurants or hotels, they usually serve hummus in round bowls. Hummus mediterranean should be served with oil and chickpeas in it. Therefore, round plates are preferred. We take the mixture into the bowl and hollow it out well. We put the boiled chickpeas that we remove the shells to decorate it. Add some black cumin, red pepper powder and extra virgin olive oil.
What Is Hummus Usually Served With?
Some of my favorite ways to serve hummus mediterranean:
- Spread on a slice of sourdough bread.
- As a condiment on your favorite chicken sandwich. Instead of adding mayonnaise or mustard, you can add hummus to really enhance the flavor.
- Instead of using sour cream in your mashed potato recipe, add hummus for a rich and creamy texture.
- As a healthy salad dressing.
- As a dip with falafel.
- With a spoon. Instead of digging into a jar of Nutella in the dark hours of the night, you should try eating hummus for a late-night pick-me-up. It’s a healthy option and it’s delicious.
How To Store Hummus
Since hummus mediterranean contains lemon, salt and garlic, you can keep it in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. The best way to do this is to place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. In addition, if you drizzle olive oil over the hummus, you will preserve its freshness. In this way, your hummus will both stay moist and maintain its consistency.
Can Hummus Be Frozen?
With fiber and protein-rich chickpeas, mineral-rich sesame seeds and heart-healthy olive oil, hummus mediterranean is a highly nutritious food that freezes well. Freeze it in an airtight container, sprinkle with olives to keep it from losing moisture and don’t forget to leave some space above the container.
Is Hummus Gluten Free?
Hummus mediterranean made in the traditional way is gluten-free. But there are variations that may not be 100% gluten-free, so you need to do your research before buying it from the store. Make sure it has a gluten-free label on it. If you don’t want to take any risks, you can make it at home. It is widely believed that homemade hummus is much tastier than the store-bought version because the ingredients are fresh and you can measure the quantities according to your preference. If you have a gluten allergy, you should eat hummus with gluten-free bread or crackers. You can also use it as a dip for baby carrots and grilled vegetables.
If you have any other questions about the hummus mediterranean recipe, don’t hesitate to stop by, I’m always willing to help! Also, don’t forget to follow me on my Instagram page. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great day!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does hummus make you poop?
The fibers in chickpeas, which are the main ingredient of hummus, increase intestinal transit with other substances added to it and facilitate the removal of toxins from the colon.
How can you tell if hummus is bad?
You can also check whether the hummus mediterranean is spoiled by smelling it. Spoiled hummus shows signs of sour smell and mold.
What goes good with hummus?
If you ask what to eat hummus mediterranean with and what to serve with it, honestly, I think hummus is a great addition to any table. You can eat it with crackers, chopped fresh vegetables, vegetable chips or corn chips before a meal, or you can serve it with meat, chicken and fish dishes.
What veggies go best with hummus?
You can eat vegetables such as carrots, celery, avocado, zucchini, sweet potatoes with hummus.