My mother used to make semolina dessert when I was little. I learned this recipe from my mother. Although semolina dessert is unfortunately not a very light dessert, it is a very delicious dessert. No matter how healthy we try to live, sometimes we miss the end of the rope 🙂
When preparing semolina halva recipe you can use pistachios, walnuts or pine nuts, depending on your taste. After this brief information, we continue with the recipe for semolina dessert, which you will prepare in a practical way.
What Is Semolina Dessert
Semolina dessert, which is one of the indispensable desserts of Turkey and Middle Eastern countries, is a dessert made with flour, sugar, oil, milk/water and semolina. It can be consumed cold or hot. It is served as you wish with many options such as ice cream, tahini, cinnamon, pistachio, etc.
Halva, which means “sweet” in Arabic, originated from the word “hulviyyat”, which refers to desserts in general. The first places where semolina halva was made in the world are known as the Middle East and Balkan countries. It is possible to see semolina halva in the regions where Turks and Arabs live. The Turks’ acquaintance with halva started when they accepted Islam and became closer to Arab culture.
Is Semolina A Dessert?
Semolina is a nutrient obtained by grinding and sieving durum wheat. Semolina grains are 125-140 micrometers in size, yellow in color, shiny and angular. Hard wheat is generally used in semolina production. Fine semolina is often used in halvahs and puddings, as in the semolina dessert recipe. It contributes to the smooth, creamy texture of the pudding.
How To Make Semolina Dessert
For the semolina dessert, first of all, we melt our margarine or butter in a saucepan and add our semolina. We roast the semolina over low heat until it turns pink. After the semolina turns pink, we add peanuts or walnuts. For the syrup, we mix 1 cup sugar and 1.5 cups hot water in a separate pot until the sugar dissolves. Cook over low heat until the water is absorbed. Then we enjoy the semolina dessert by sprinkling cinnamon on it.
Semolina Dessert How To Make Perfectly With Its Detailed RecipeCourse: DessertCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Easy
One-to-one semolina halva recipe
1 water class semolina
1/2 pack of margarine or butter
1/2 water glass walnut or pistachio
1.5 water glass hot water
1 water glass sugar
2 drop of lemon
- We melt our margarine or butter in a saucepan and add our semolina.
- Roast the semolina on low heat until it turns pink
- After the semolina turns pink, we add peanuts or walnuts.
- For the syrup, we mix 1 water glass of sugar and 1.5 water glass of hot water in a separate pot until the sugar dissolves.
- We add the syrup we prepared to the roasted semolina.
- We cook it on low until the water is absorbed.
- If you like sugar, you can add more sugar instead of 1 glass of water.
What Should I Pay Attention To When Preparing Semolina Dessert?
- In order for the semolina dessert to have a dark color, it must be well roasted over low heat. A well-roasted semolina porridge has a much better consistency. At this stage you need to stir constantly so that it is roasted evenly and does not burn! You can use a small amount of flour to prevent the semolina dessert from falling apart.
- You can use a little molasses to enhance the flavor and achieve a better consistency. For a better consistency, make sure that the syrup you will use is cold.
- Depending on the amount of halva you make, its consistency may seem runny when you add the water or milk you will use. Do not be afraid! As it cooks well on low heat, it will absorb its water and get a delicious consistency.
- The presentation phase is only limited by your imagination! You can enrich it with nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, wrap your halva with orange peels or sprinkle some cinnamon. Our favorite is to conquer hearts at the first spoonful with the ice cream hidden inside.
Traditions About Semolina Halva
It is mainly made as flour and semolina halva in Turkish delicacies, which are made and distributed among friends on many days depending on the way of life and customs in Turkey. It is possible to see halva wherever there are Turkish, Arab and Jewish groups. It starts with meeting someone and continuing to consume for them even after they pass away. The simplest ingredient that remains is halva.
In today’s Turkish society, halva is distributed and eaten in the house of the deceased after the funeral. But in the Ottoman palace, this concept is the alternative: halva in the palace, your pleasure, technological know-how, subculture, poetry, melody, assembly, party, the start in the harem, the throne of the crown prince, victory in battle.
It is a dessert that is cooked and eaten in his honor. Halvah cooked inside the palace could be very rich in selection. n though it is thought of as flour, oil and sugar, it is widely mixed with spices and nuts introduced to its mortar. the taste and reputation of the made halva changes
About Milk Semolina Halva
If you choose to use milk instead of water, in the recipe you only use milk instead of water, but we don’t use anemic milk, we take our milk in a deep pot and boil it. Also when you roast the semolina, you need to make sure that you stir it constantly and roast it until it is fragrant. You should not burn the semolina by roasting it longer than necessary. You may think that the milk is liquid after you put it in. But by scalding the milk is absorbed and takes its consistency.
What Meal Is Served After?
Since making semolina dessert is very simple, you can easily prepare it after meals. You can also take a look at these recipes that might interest you:
This dessert goes very well with the most beautiful fish dishes. If you have already noticed that semolina dessert, tahini halva or baked halva are served in fish restaurants, you can easily and quickly prepare semolina halva and serve it to your guests when you have nothing to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions About Semolina Dessert
Is halva made from semolina?
Halva is a semolina porridge lina pudding sweetened with syrup and garnished with pine nuts. It is a dessert of Arab origin, but also adopted into Greek culture.
What is Turkish halva made of?
Halva is made from sesame paste. It has a dense and crumbly consistency and is sometimes flavored with cocoa powder or vanilla. Some also contain nuts such as pistachios or walnuts.
What is Irmik made of?
Semolina halva is a traditional Turkish recipe made from semolina flour. It can be sprinkled with cinnamon and served hot or cold.
How many calories are in a Semolina halva?
1 medium semolina halwa has 532 calories.
Turkish halva gluten free?
Gluten can be found in many and a variety of whole or processed foods. Grains containing gluten include barley, wheat bran, wheat germ, bulgur, rye, durum wheat, semolina, spelt, chorasan wheat, couscous, rye, wheat hybrid Mir, whole wheat and triticale.
How many calories are in semolina pudding?
1 serving semolina halva has about 191 calories.
Is halva healthy to eat?
Rich in B vitamins, vitamin E, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, selenium and antioxidants, halva is a nutritious and energy-rich source.
Is halva Greek or Turkish?
Although halva is widespread throughout Greece, its origin is very high in Turkey.