Rolled up chicken comes to your table as a wonderful main course, so sophisticated that it can be the crown of the most beautiful festive tables, and delicious enough to stay on the palate. Chicken is one of the most diverse dishes. Chicken, which in combination with other flavors gives a good harmony, is also widely used in Turkish cuisine and is a guest on the tables. Here is a rolled up chicken dish that you will enjoy in your kitchens, Pilic Topkapi.
If you haven’t tried this delicious stuffed pilaf wrapped in a tender, juicy cooked chicken, whose name recalls a dish prepared especially for you in the kitchen of the Topkapi Palace, it’s clear what you’ll be doing that night. A delicacy that will delight even the most difficult guests, the preparation is somewhat difficult, but it should never be easy to achieve such beauty. As a coveted dish on elegant tables, from festive tables to invitation dinners, to your special occasions Topkapi chicken is an indispensable requirement.
What is mean by roll up chicken?
Roll up chicken made from breast or cutlet fillet is filled with different flavors. It is wrapped with many ingredients that go well with chicken, such as spinach, garnishes, mushrooms, cheddar cheese or stuffed rice. You can cook it in the pan or in the oven, depending on your taste.
How do you flatten a chicken breast and roll it up?
I will try to explain how to flatten chicken breast for rolled up chicken. Although it may seem difficult at first, I think you’ll agree how easy it is once you try it!
- Start by cutting thick chicken breasts. Especially with thick chicken breasts, cutting the chicken before flattening makes it easier. Using a sharp knife, cut your chicken all the way through horizontally and open it up like a book.
- Place the cut chicken breast between parchment paper. Place a layer of wax paper or plastic wrap on a large cutting board. Place the chicken breast on top of the parchment paper. Then cover it with another layer of wax paper.
- Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken. Tap in the center, making sure to use enough force to flatten the chicken. If you don’t have a hammer, you can also beat it with a rolling pin.
- Remove the top layer of wax paper. When the chicken is flat enough for a chicken roll up recipe, remove the top baking paper as well.
What can I use to flatten chicken?
The easiest way to roll up a chicken is to use a meat hammer. If you don’t have a meat hammer at home, don’t worry. You can also use a rolling pin suitable for the size of your chicken, or even the back of the pan. The back of a canning jar is also suitable. Don’t bang on the jar so it doesn’t break! Ah, that would be an unfortunate accident.
Do I need toothpicks for stuffed chicken?
In the rolled up chicken recipe, you can secure the ends with toothpicks to wrap your chicken. This method prevents the chicken stuffing from coming out during cooking and the chicken from falling apart.I did not use a toothpick in the recipe for the Topkapi Chicken. I put the chicken thighs in a bowl, put 2 spoonfuls of the prepared filling, covered my chicken and put it on the baking sheet.
What Is Pilic Topkapi?
Rolled up chicken pilic topkapi, which has survived from Ottoman cuisine, has become synonymous with Afyon cuisine. Large chicken thighs are used for the recipe. The stuffed pilaf is enriched with pine nuts, currants and spices. The thighs are baked in the oven after being stuffed with rice. To make the chicken crispy on the outside, a sauce made of tomato paste is poured over them. It is a full main meal if you follow the rolled up chicken recipe. Even if you serve this delightful dish on its own, you can be sure that eyes will not look for any by-products on the table, because it is an absolute eye-catcher.
Are chicken rolls healthy?
If we go through the ingredients I use in my rolled up chicken recipe, I can answer that question with “yes, it’s healthy”.
- In the recipe for the rolled up chicken I prepared the stuffing of the chicken with currants and pine nuts, and in the stuffed rice there is calcium. Calcium, which is found in large quantities especially in milk and dairy products, is also found inside the rice.
- 1 serving (medium) of rice contains 31.16 mg of calcium. Calcium is of great benefit to bone health and bone formation. The calcium we get from cow’s milk, cheese and yogurt can also be obtained by eating İç rice. The calcium contained inside rice is also an extremely important food source for our bones. Especially as we age, we need to consume calcium, which is extremely important for our bone health.
- In addition, the stuffed rice also contains protein. Consuming too much protein in stuffed rice can lead to diseases such as liver failure. For this reason, we must consume the amount of protein contained in inner rice without exceeding the daily allowance.
- Finally, internal rice is a food with a high glycemic index due to its content of white rice, currants and sugar. During a diet, excessive consumption should be avoided, as it causes blood sugar levels to rise and fall quickly.
- And of course the chicken meat, our main ingredient, proteins have a high biological value. This means that they provide all the essential amino acids that the body can not produce in ideal quantities. It contains less saturated fat than red meat and other processed meats. In addition, the proven fats such as omega 6 and omega 3 in chicken meat come to the fore. However, these values are found only in specimens from barn or plant-based feeding.
What is the healthiest way to cook chicken breast?
When cooking chicken, the preferred methods are boiling, baking (preferably in an oven bag) or steaming. Care should also be taken not to burn the oil used in the preparation or the spices added to the oil. Chicken should be cooked well done over medium heat and should not be raw inside.
How many calories does Pilic Topkapi contain?
1 serving of rolled up chicken topkapi (100 grams) has about 217 calories. It contains 17.6 grams of carbohydrates, 19.2 grams of protein and 12.4 grams of fat. Rolled up chicken topkapi is high in sodium, fat and calories. There is no harm in eating this dish if you are on a polo-vegetarian or semi-vegetarian diet. If you are allergic to legumes, you should not consume this dish.
Are you looking for a recipe for a main dish? Then you can also look at my recipes below.
Find from the offer of the best dishes something from rolled up chicken pilic topkapi, get into the kitchen and start cooking.
The Best Rolled Up Chicken Pilic TopkapiCourse: MainCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Medium
A wonderful taste that comes from the palace kitchen to your tables: recipe for Pilic Topkapi.
4 chicken thighs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red flakes pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
- FOR THE INSIDE
1 water glass baldo rice
1 small onion
1 tablespoon of peanuts
2 tablespoons of currants, soaked in water
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2teaspoon of allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 water glass of water
- FOR SAUCE
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2-3 tablespoons of oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 glass of water
- Ask your butcher to separate the chicken thighs from the bones and pound them a little.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl, add the salt, pepper and red bell pepper powder, mix well and cover and refrigerate for about 1-2 hours.
- Soak the rice in hot water in a deep bowl for 15 minutes.
- Put olive oil in a pan, chop the onions and fry them until they turn slightly pink. Then add the stuffed peanuts that we roasted in another pan, the currants and the spices that we soaked and washed and fry for another 3-4 minutes, then add the hot water and turn down the heat. Let it boil until the water evaporates and let it infuse.
- Place the chicken, skin side down, in a bowl and let it hang over the edge.
- Fill the chickens hanging over the edge with the prepared rice and place the chickens on the baking sheet, turning the bowl upside down.
- After all the chickens are placed in this way, fry the oil and tomato paste for the lid, add the water and pour over the top.
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees for 25-30 minutes, then open and bake until golden brown. Enjoy your meal.
Tips For Pilic Topkapi
If you use a few tips when preparing a recipe for rolled up chicken topkapi, you will take the delicious taste of this palace cuisine to the next level.
- When buying chicken thighs, choose especially large specimens. They are convenient to shape
- The most important tips of rolled up chicken topkapi is to roast the peanuts in olive oil until they turn brown when preparing the stuffing. Also, the stuffing is seasoned with allspice, which adds more flavor to the dish.
- Cut the chicken thin and make sure it does not fall apart.
- If you use chicken broth when cooking the stuffed rice, you will increase the flavor. If you cut the whole chicken, you can boil the bones and extract the chicken juice. Also, the most important thing when preparing stuffed rice is to roast it well. And, of course, do not be stingy with the spices that go into the rice.
- Before using raisins or currants, wash them and soak them in hot water for a while.
- We don’t add water like we do when cooking regular rice. We add a little less than the normal amount so it doesn’t turn to mush as it is also cooked in the oven.
You can serve the rolled up chicken sliced or whole. I like it best when you top the bottom with mashed potatoes and put the slices on top. Of course, that’s up to your taste. Also, on summer days I only drink a cold coke, I don’t prepare salads, etc. Because it’s really a filling meal on its own.
Which chicken should I use?
When preparing rolled up chicken, I would like to mention whether the chicken is breast meat or thigh meat. Of course, there are aficionados, but with chicken breast meat, this recipe would go really bad. If you ask why, I find it extremely dry, bland and flavorless. (Of course for this recipe.) It’s best to make it from the leg part, which is a little greasy and has delicious meat. If you say that you calculate the fat to gain weight, do not be afraid, the most wonderful form of this dish is the fat chicken. It is a great recipe for those who say I will skip a meal so that what I eat is full.
How to store?
I love chicken dishes, especially recipes with rolled up chicken. But I don’t like it when he eats leftover chicken. In my opinion, chicken should be eaten hot, because the next day it is not so fresh. And since we make the stuffing with rice, the rice tastes cold.
When you reheat it, it tastes bland. You need to prepare rolled up chicken per person and eat it the same day. However, if you say you are going to prepare it in the morning and cook it in the evening, or vice versa, keep it in the refrigerator without pouring the sauce over it. When you are ready to prepare it, take it out of the refrigerator, pour the sauce over it and put it in the oven.
If you have any other questions about the rolled up chicken recipe, don’t hesitate to stop by, I’m always willing to help! In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy and have a great day!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you lose weight by just eating chicken?
Some studies have shown that eating chicken meat in a high-protein diet and chicken meat with high protein content contributes to weight loss. In addition to protein, chicken meat is a good source of niacin, vitamin B6, selenium and phosphorus. Since chicken meat, fresh vegetables and fruits contain few calories, they find their place in almost all diet menus.
How do you stuff chicken breast without toothpicks?
If you don’t have a toothpick for rolled up chicken, you can also use raw spaghetti for the rolled up chicken. If you don’t like that, you can also tie your chicken with any string you have at home.
How do you cut chicken breast for rolling?
Place the chicken breast skin side down. Lay the chicken carcass on its side, tilt the chicken up and separate the bone from the breast meat by cutting through the backbone on both sides with kitchen shears or a knife. Cut along the cartilage and cut it in half. (You can use the bone to make chicken stock).
What do you stuff a chicken with?
Chicken wrap made from breast or cutlet fillet is filled with different flavors. It is wrapped with many ingredients compatible with chicken, such as spinach, garnishes, mushrooms, cheddar or stuffed rice.
Is fried chicken breast healthy?
Chicken is not only low in fat and calories, but also rich in important nutrients. Fried Chicken. Stir-frying chicken with a little oil and your favorite vegetables is a healthy way to prepare a high-fiber, high-protein meal.
Is it OK to eat chicken every day?
Daily consumption of chicken may not be too harmful if it is a village chicken, but if a chicken bought from the market is consumed instead of a village chicken, it should be avoided every day.