Red lentil meatballs are very nutritious due to their protein-rich structure and are an ideal snack for vegans. When one thinks of delicious or appetizing food, meat dishes usually come to mind. Especially in Turkish cuisine, meat is indispensable, but to make a dish delicious, it does not necessarily have to contain meat. Even though it is called meatballs, lentil meatballs are a meatless dish and always appetizing.
Lentil meatballs vegan are among the favorite recipes of Turkish women. In addition to being light and practical, it makes those who eat it happy with its flavor. Red lentils, whose homeland is Central Asia, are mostly grown in Southeastern Anatolia. It is used in many dishes, especially in Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa. Red lentils and bulgur, known for regulating the digestive system, are among the main ingredients in making lentil meatballs. The original lentil meatballs, which are usually served when hosting guests or at tea times, are among the hearty snacks.
What Are Lentil Meatballs?
Lentil meatballs are a delicious dish prepared with lentils and bulgur. Lentil meatballs, which are widely consumed, have high nutritional value. For this reason, it has many benefits as well as its flavor.Although lentil meatballs resemble raw meatballs in appearance, they are different in flavor. You can prepare raw meatballs with or without meat. However, lentil meatballs do not contain meat and are quite light.
How To Make Lentil Meatballs?
To make easy lentil meatballs, first wash and drain the lentils, add 4 cups of water and cook until soft. There should be enough water for the bulgur to swell; if not, you can add more water.Add fine bulgur to the cooked lentils, mix and let it stand for 15 minutes with the lid of the pot closed. Peel the onions and slice them finely. Also set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan, sauté the other half of the onions, add the chopped greens and pour the oil over the mixture while it is still hot. Pick walnut sized pieces from the meatball dough and press them together in the palm of your hand.
What To Serve Lentil Meatballs With?
Traditionally made lentil meatballs are served with lettuce and lettuce. Sometimes it is served with pickled cucumber and lemon slices. Lemon can be squeezed upon request. Served with greens, lentil meatballs are considered as a snack. Lentil meatballs should be accompanied by light snacks.
Potato salad, cake and pastry are generally preferred next to lentil meatballs. Although tea is preferred as a beverage, buttermilk can also be drunk optionally. Those on a diet should not eat any food while consuming lentil patties.
Since lentil meatballs contain carbohydrates, consuming them with an extra food causes weight gain. It is recommended to consume plenty of greens and lemon while eating lentil meatballs.
How Many Calories Are In Lentil Meatballs?
Lentil Meatballs Calorie Value: There are 130 kcal calories in 100 grams of this food, and there are 293 calories in 1 portion (medium) of 225 grams of lentil meatballs.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories130
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Cholesterol 9.5mg 4%
- Sodium 53.19mg 3%
- Potassium 217.5mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.43g 6%
- Sugars 1.6g
- Protein 2.55g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Are Lentil Meatballs Good?
Lentil meatballs, the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to vegetarian meatballs and the crown jewel of golden days, are extremely delicious as well as economical. Since no cooking method is needed, it is practically prepared in a short time. Lentil meatballs prepared with greens are extremely nutritious for vegans who do not eat meat. Lentil meatballs, which are rich in vitamins A and B group, iron, zinc, phosphorus, folic acid, potassium and fiber, can be consumed with peace of mind in snacks. Appetizing with its very colorful appearance, lentil meatballs get their carbohydrate content from fibers. Lentil patties are a good choice to meet some essential vitamins and minerals.
If you are looking for a healthy and low-calorie recipe, such as lentil and bulgur wheat balls, you might be interested in these recipes:
Although this dish is not preferred by men, it is an indispensable menu for women. I will try to share the recipe for Turkish lentil recipes with this flavor, which is very good for afternoon tea, for you.
How About Trying A Great Lentil Meatballs?Course: AppetizersCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Medium
Both healthy and nutritious lentil meatballs recipe
1 cup of red lentils
2 cups fine bulgur
1/2 a bunch of parsley
2-3 pieces onion
2 tablespoons of mixed tomato and pepper paste
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon red flakes pepper
1 dessert spoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Wash and drain the lentils, add 4 glasses of water and cook until tender. There should be enough water for the bulgur to swell; if not, water can be added.
- Thin bulgur is added to the cooked lentils, mixed and left for 15 minutes with the lid of the pot closed.
- Peel and finely dice the onions. Also set aside. The parsley and green onions are washed, read and finely chopped.
- On the other hand, heat the olive oil in a pan, sauté the other half of the onions, add the chopped greens and pour the oil over the mixture while it is still hot.
- Cut walnut-sized pieces of the meatball dough and press them together in the palm of your hand.
Tips For Turkish Lentil Balls
It is very convenient to make lentil meatballs, the handiest recipe in our kitchen that fills you up without meat and can be eaten on the fly. However, it takes a few tricks to get the consistency and change the ratio of bulgur and lentils exactly.
It is also possible to buy lentil meatballs that do not keep their consistency. When you are ready, we will begin to reveal the secrets and techniques of lentil meatballs, so that the taste does not disappear from the palate for a long time.
- The two most important ingredients of lentil cakes are bulgur and lentils. Cooking the lentils to their full consistency and adjusting the amount of bulgur to the exact consistency is one of the most important secrets of the consistency. First, take the lentils that you can use in a pot, add water and whisk it to dissolve the dust in it. Alternate the water until you can see the color of the water and proceed with the same whisk. When the color of the water becomes clear, the lentils are cooked.
- We put our lentils on the stove and started cooking over medium heat. If you like, you can add fresh spices like thyme and rosemary at this stage and discard the lentils when they are cooked far. Right here, our main advice is to leave out the water in the pot instead of cooking the lentils until the water is completely absorbed.
- The last of the water in the lentils will help the bulgur swell to its full consistency. If you add the bulgur to a completely depleted lentil, it will remain raw on top of the bulgur and will not fully combine with the lentils.
- After adding the bulgur, it is time for the resting section. In any case, do not open the lid of the pot at this stage. Otherwise, the bulgur will not find the prescribed heat and will not combine with the lentils.
- After putting the bulgur and lentils in a large bowl, pour the tomato paste and onion sauce over it, even if it is still warm. Blend it well so that the first heat comes out. This stage can be very critical. If you put vegetables in it while it is still very warm, your vegetables will fade inside, resulting in a lack of color and texture.
Lentil Balls Against Cancer
American Institute for Cancer Research.This time it shared the list of “cancer-fighting” foods from different parts of the world and included a name from Turkish cuisine, vegan meatballs made from red lentils, in this list of 7 different cuisines.Announcing that lentils have a protective effect against cancer, the American Cancer Research Institute once again stuns people with the power of lentils, bulgur and spices by explaining why.
According to research, meatballs made from the red lentil recipe are rich in both protein and fiber. The many spices and greens that can be added also provide the body with many vitamins and minerals. This strengthens the immune system and prevents the formation of cancer cells and the spread and multiplication of cells that have already been formed.
Is Mercimek Vegan?
Vegetarian diet; does not include meat, fish, poultry; vegan diet also excludes eggs and dairy products. If we classify plant foods: Vegetables, fruits, nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, etc.), legumes (lentils, chickpeas, etc.).In this case, lentils are a good choice for vegans.
Can You Freeze Lentil Kofte?
Put your lentil meatballs in a bag and put them in the refrigerator. Likewise, you can store them in the freezer as a mortar in freezer bags, such as a storage container. If you store lentil patties in a freezer bag, be sure to place them so that they do not stick together.
Lentil Meatballs Is It Suitable For Tea time?
You can prepare lentil meatballs it for your guests in a very practical and easy way.It is a very suitable recipe for afternoon tea, and I also recommend you to read my recipe for maamoul cookies for afternoon tea.You can also consider it as an appetizer snack at your office in the afternoon at tea time.
I hope I was helpful about vegetarian kofta recipe Turkish. Write your questions and opinions in the comments. Do not forget to follow us on Instagram and other social networks. Good luck to you all.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT LENTIL MEATBALLS
What are lentil balls made of?
The ingredients for the lentil meatballs I made are red lentils, fine bulgur, onions and tomato paste.
How many calories are in a lentil ball?
100 grams of lentil meatballs contain 130 kcal, and a medium serving, or about 225 grams of lentil meatballs, contains 293 calories.
How long do you cook green lentils?
Green lentils are cooked in about 45 minutes. Salt and acid, such as vinegar and lemon juice in your recipe, will increase the cooking time. For best results, add salt, lemon juice or vinegar after the lentils have been cooked in clear water for a while. You can check if the lentils are cooked by buying a few lentils and watching their consistency.
Can you freeze red lentils?
Lentils do not need to be soaked and do not take long to cook. However, having cooked lentils in the freezer makes life easier. Once frozen, lentils can be kept for up to six months, so it’s a good idea to freeze small quantities.
Are red lentils good for you?
Lentils are a fibrous and protein-rich food, rich in B vitamins and iron, as well as the minerals calcium, manganese, sodium, copper, zinc and phosphorus. It strengthens the immune system and provides protection against disease. In general, the vitamins of the red lentil have a breast milk-promoting effect. It facilitates digestion by promoting intestinal movements.
Do red lentils need to be soaked?
Whether or not to wet it is purely a personal choice. If you soak them, you can soak them in warm water for 15 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. But this is not necessary, especially for quick-cooking lentils without skin, such as red, white or yellow lentils.